Monday, May 17, 2010

Who Knew…..

 

 

Nine years ago I had a 6 month pit stop moving from North Carolina back to CA where I spent the majority of my youth.  The Army, much like skydiving never really tells you exactly where your going to land, until right before your bottom smacks the ground.  I remember one evening Eric & I looking at a map “wondering” where we would go.  I said something like “I don’t care where we go, as long as it’s not someplace like Oklahoma, who in their right mind lives there”.  I remember telling my Dad that same thing and he gave me a hard time, told me how much he loved Oklahoma and how he had spent some summers their on a cousins farm.  My hopes were high, I thought with my 2 yrs served as Military Spouse in North Carolina at Ft. Bragg that I would be rewarded BIG to someplace like Hawaii!  The phone call came, Eric said I’m being stationed to Ft. Sill, Oklahoma, I report 1st of January (back in 2001). 

My Dad made the move with us, Jonathan was still an infant and he was worried about us moving halfway across country in 2 vehicles with the baby, plus he wanted to see Oklahoma again.  When we finally arrived after a few days we pulled in to Lawton, OK on one of the 3 exits off the Hwy into it’s small town & the tears started flowing!  I remember thinking to myself, what on earth did I do to piss God of this badly that he would send us to a place such as this. 

3 days later, I had to drive my Dad an hour an a half  to the nearest International Airport in Oklahoma City, OK.  With God and my Dad as my witness, I BEGGED for him to take me back to CA with him!  PLEASE DON’T LEAVE ME HERE DAD, PLEASE!!!!  My Dad kind of chuckled the way he does and said “make the best of it honey, you will love it”.  It started snowing on the drive home, at that moment I just knew God had it in for me ;)

3 yrs later…..I moved from OK to MO and I cried almost the entire trip leaving!   Just as my Dad said, I had grown to fall in Love with the simplicity of Oklahoma!

Today’s mailbox had a little special treat inside for me….

IMG_1099

The Pioneer Woman’s Cookbook!  Hot Digity!  Now, I far from lived on a Ranch during my 3 year adventure in the Flat Land and Cattle Country, but I just know this book is going to give me a Taste of the Place that will forever live in my heart!

12 comments:

  1. Oh Katie, I love it when you post, you're so sweet. Can't wait to hear how you like your new book. When you come see me next month we are going to for sure and for certain be making the grilled onion blue cheese sauce, PW's recipe, of course. Should we have it as a fondue or on grilled steak? Or both?

    Hope to see you on FB soon...

    Love,
    E

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just see your Dad chuckle as he left you in Oklahoma!!!

    I'll never forget the first time Jake and I had a big fight when we were in Boise and I called my Mom crying and said I'm coming home, will you meet me halfway? She just smiled and said, no hunny you can't come home. WHAT!? Oh how we learn and grow from those times, right?

    How exciting to have that cookbook! I just told my Mom I want it for my bday. I bet you'll cook up some good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooohhh ... my little brother and sweet wife are in Altus... OK. ( Hes a C17 instructor pilot) - I just came back from a visit and I was IN LOVE with the whole place... how sweet- My hubbys from MO... so I know that was not bad either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats looks like a good one! Be sure to post some of the delicious goodies that come out of it. Have fun cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog and I love how you write!! Don't worry, your time will come!! My sister is married to a military chaplain and they are FINALLY stationed in Hawaii after serving many years in many places and they love it! I keep telling her she needs to blog!!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie,
    God really has a way of giving us what we think we don't need or want at the time we really "need" it the most!
    I've never lived in OK, but love hearing your story!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Katie, what a sweet post. I remember this story. Greg is from a military family you know. He lived all over. His mom told of some very similar stories as well. I want that cookbook too, and so does someone else we know!!! Hey, when did you the pretty yellow mixer????

    ReplyDelete
  8. NOOOO, I didn't know that Greg was from a Military Family! I also didn't know that your Dad was a reservist until this last trip when your Mom came to visit. I swear you "people" don't tell me anything!!!! ;)
    What branch of service was Greg's Dad in?

    Remember the story of me making Sean return the overpriced diamond necklace for Vday, I got the mixer a week later ;) Ain't it pretty & so much more useful than a diamond ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute post Katie!!!! I think most people feel that way about OK until they get there!! My sister lived there for years, is now in CA and would give anything to go back. She loves it there!!!

    Can't wait to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. I would have been the same way moving to OK. I can't wait to see which recipes you just love from PW.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yup, reminds me of how I felt when we first moved to Nebraska. And now it's home. Who could have predicted that would ever happen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Sam was at Ft. Sill for basic training. My husband and I went for graduation in December. We loved the friendly people. It was like a small town happy bubble. We really had a good time.
    Since then Sam has been to Ft. Sam Houston and Ft. Benning. He finds out where he goes next, next week.
    I have such an appreciation for military families facing the uncertainty of where they go next. God bless them.
    I wish you had come to Seattle to meet Ree and me and Holly... next time!
    Until then, keep on a cookin'!

    ReplyDelete