Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Fall Soccer Season Begins

Jonathan plays fall and spring soccer, and tonight was his first practice with his new team & new organization. He is playing with the YMCA this fall b/c I was trying to make my life a little easier this year. By the time I get off work, I barely have enough time to get him picked up and to practice on time and the YMCA was much closer than having to drive him back to Post. And, let me tell you, BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I'm not one of those Mom's that thinks that kids playing sports is just for fun and socialization. That may sound horrible to some, but really, our children have preschool & play dates as toddlers to learn that. I was even bored just watching!!! I have this Fabulous magnet on my refrigerator that Sean bought me that says "I have burst of being a lady, but they don't last long" and it's so true. I told another Mom how lame I thought this was! Horror waved over her face ;) Oh well, what can you do. This is our very first time Ever playing a sport outside the Military Installation, guess I'm going to have to suffer in the spring and find a way to make it work or learn to keep my mouth shut. ;)
When we got home tonight, we had a bag on our front door with a note advertising for a local food drive. You fill your bag & they come pick it up on Saturday. Now how cool is that? I have participated in many food drives, but none that come pick the food up for you!!
I had Jonathan pick out the foods he wanted to give and put them in the bag. I noticed at first, that as he was taking things from the pantry, he was selecting things he did not like. I explained to him that what if he was on the receiving end of a bag full of stuff he didn't enjoy......
So, finally he decided he would part with his Favorite Chicken Noodle Soup, Tuna, & his favorite Jelly. I was proud of him for finally sharing some of his favorite things for those less fortunate. I'm awfully impressed with his 3rd Grade Teacher & him being a Male influence while his Dad & Sean are away has been a blessing already. I complimented Jonathan on the way to practice tonight on how well behaved he has been in the last few days and how Helpful he has been. He told me that his teacher told him he was a natural leader and needed his help to display leadership to some of the other children in his class. Jonathan must have really taken that comment to heart, b/c he has been such a true help this week! I'm not sure how long this will last, but for now............I'm proud of my boy! His burst of being a gentleman, last much longer than mine of a lady!!!! ;)

3 comments:

  1. This was such a cute post!

    First off, I absolutely love your honesty!! I can just see some other soccer mom decked out with her kids picture pinned all over her shirt giving you that look of horror. I feel the same way about admitting certain things about motherhood that I find boring but I think some moms would give me that same look.

    Second, what a neat thing for the food drive to just come pick up the bag for you. And a good lesson for Johnathon about giving away some of his favorites too. :)

    And third, how wonderful that Johnathon's teacher is a male this year. That is really great for him to have that influence in his life right now.

    Lastly, I want one of those magnets!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I am chuckling over here, reading your post! Good for Jonathon for being so selfless. What a great lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Katie!
    Such a cute cute post! :)
    I am so sorry that I got my wires crossed with Seany, I thought he said that ya'll shared an email :) - crazy me, forgive me and tell him I am sorry that I bored him with nutso emails! :) Yes, please email me whenever you feel like it!!!
    Hope ya'll are well!
    Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete